RDFL ROUND UP 03/10/2021

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League Round Up

The Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League is finely balance with just three points separating the top seven teams.
Premier side Ballinasloe Town were expected to do very well this season but they were beaten 3 -2 at home by a good Kilkerrin United side. Kevin Traynor scored for the winners after ten minutes of play and gave a repeat performance three minutes later with a good voley again from the right side of the Ballinasloe Town penalty area. Josh Mc Carthy pulled a goal back for the home side with thirty played. Liam Boyle restored Kilkerrins two goal advantage ten minutes later. Ballinasloe missed from the penalty spot just before half time with credit going to the Kilkerrin Keeper Eoin Martin . Josh Mc Carthy scored his second for Ballinasloe Town with fifty six played but they failed to break down a solid Kilkerrin defence who had excellent players in Cian Carton Damien Mahon and Evan Fahy.

Boyle Celtic continued their unbeaten run with a 5 – 1 win over Castlerea Celtic at Boyle. Darren Foley gave the home side a 2 – 0 half time lead and goals from Dessie Carlos Mike Corrigan and an own goal secured the three points. Martin Foster pulled a goal back for the losers.

St Johns Athletic drew 2 – 2 with Moylough 79 at Lecarrow. Playing against the wind in the first half St Johns Athletic were the better side and were 2 – 0 up at the break, both scored by Daire Keenan. The second half belonged to Moylough 79 and Pierce Townsend scored both their goals.

Ballymoe F C had a 5 – 0 home win over Cloonfad United at Ballymoe. The home side were 2 – 0 up at the interval and were comfortable winners at the end. Daniel Malone scored two and Damien Coggins Mark Kilcommins and Gregory Grogan added one each for the winners.

In Division 1 the Castleplunkett side C P Ajax moved into second place in this Division when the beat Ballinagare/ Manor 4 – 2 at Ballinagare. Thomas Callaghan headed the winners ahead after twenty minutes but Gerry Warde levelled the game minutes later. Damien Boyle added two more for the winners before half time. Dan Connolly for the winners and Gerry Warde for the losers scored in the second half.

Shiven Rovers continued their winning run when they beat Dunmore Town 5 – 3 at Newbridge. Overall it was a great game of football with little between the sides. With five played a Seamie O Kelly cross was finished to the Dunmore net by a Micheal Killilea header.
Within five minutes Tom Beirne replied for Dunmore. With thirty played Seamie O Kelly again turned provider with Francis Kilcommins volleying to the net from twenty five meters. Six minutes later Gavin Mularkey levelled the game when he scored for Dunmore. The turning point in the game came after forty two minutes play when Joseph Horan scored for the winners and ten minutes later Tom Doyle headed an O kelly corner to the Dunmore net. Adam Farrell created an opening for Joseph Horan to stretch the winners lead and while Patrick Cosgrove pulled one back for Dunmore it came too late to change the outcome.

Dysart literally snatched victory from the jaws of defeat when they beat Roscommon United 4 – 3 at Roscommon. The home side were ahead for most of the game but two goals in the last four minutes won the three points for Dysart. Jamie Bracken set up Paul Mc Hugh to give the home side a 2 – 0 advantage with twenty played. Dysart continue to play neat football and Niall Corbett and Andy Higgins went close before they did score. Adam Cummins and Niall Corbett combined to set up Peter Cummins to score from close range. Early in the second half Adam Cumming crossed from the left wing and Niall Corbett levelled the game. However the home side were quick to strike back and with thirty left to play Richie Evan restored their lead. Just when it seemed the Town side had done enough to win the game Peter Cummins levelled the game with four left to play and with time running out Andy Higgins set up Keith Waldron to score the winner for Dysart.

Skyvalley Rovers travelled to Glenamaddy and came away with a welcome 4 – 2 win over Glen Celtic. Callum O Brien gave the visitors a 1 – 0 lead before Ryan McHugh levelled the game when he scored for the home side. Early in the second half O Brien got his second before Ethan O Dowd levelled the game. In the closing stages Sean Ryan and Richard Browne scored two vital goals for the Taughmaconnell side.

In Division 2 Cam Celtic recovered from two bad results to beat St Johns Athletic 6 – 1 at Cam. They now lead the Division 2 points table after seven games. Cam got off to a good start and took the lead by means of a St Johns own goal. Cormack Harney and Keith Dolan added two more before the break. Jack Ryan Davy Cunniffe and Kieran Shine added three more in the second half with Jamie Tiernan converting a penalty kick for the losers midway through the second half.

Syyvalley Rovers are in second place thanks to a 5 – 2 win over Roscommon United at Roscommon. Shane Costello scored two and his brother Conor one with Jack Moore and Danny Lynch adding one each. Parryk Pietrzak score both goals for Roscommon United.

Rahara Rovers had a 3 – 1 win over St Cuans / Ahascragh United at Rahara. Shane Mc Cormack scored three for the winners and Lee Johnstone replied for the losers.

Ballaghaderreen beat Moore United 2 - 0 at Moore. Cian Mc Cann and Cameron Lunt scored their goals.

Cloonfad United beat Boyle Celtic 3 – 1 at Cloonfad. Ryan Merchant scored two smashing goals for the winners and Darren O Malley one with Declan Morris replying for the losers.

Where next?

RDFL ROUND UP 26/09/2021 Full round up by Vincent Brooks

Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.