RDFL ROUND UP 10/10/2021

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League Round Up
In the First Round of the FAI Centenary Cup Ballinasloe Town had an impressive 1 – 0 away win over the Sligo Superleague side Strand Celtic. Ryan Burke volleyed the winners ahead after only six minutes of play and they showed all their experience of the big occasion to hold on for a win and a place in Round 2.
In Round one of the Connacht Cup Division 1 side Ballinagare /Manor United travelled to the Galway side Knocknacarra and were a bit unlucky to loose 4 – 3 following a really good game of football. The game was pretty even until the last five minutes when a late goal sealed a win for the home side. Gerry Ward scored two and Tom Ward one for the losers.

Ballinasloe Towns second side were beaten 5 – 1 away to Corofin United and the Dysart v Fahy Rovers game was postponed owing to the death of Teresa Mc Donnell wife of Sean. May she rest in peace.

After five series of games Boyle Celtic go three points clear at the top of the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League. Moore United are three behind and Ballinasloe Town a point further back.
Boyle Celtic were 3 – 0 up at half time in their home game against Moylough 79 and ran out comfortable 8 – 0 winners at the end. Michael Corrigan scored two and Luca Roddy one in the first half and Corrigan completed his hat trick after the break. Brian Mc Crann added three more and Darren Foley one before the end.

Kilkerrin United and Ballaghaderreen are five points behind the leaders but could still catch the leadres . Ballaghaderreen drew 1 – 1 away to Ballymoe. The home side were well on top in the first half with Gerard Connaughton giving them a 1 – 0 lead after twenty one minutes of play. Ballymoe saw the ball rebound off the crossbar and goal post before the half time whistle. It was a completely different game in the second half with Ballaghaderreen much better. Danny Browne headed an equaliser with fifty six played and both teams had chances to take the three points before the end.

Cloonfad United drew 2 – 2 with Kilkerrin United at Cloonfad. Coonfad took the lead after four minutes of play. Dylan Ruane was fouled and Conor Flynn converted the penalty kick. Kilkerrin were much the better side for the remainder of the half and Oisin Mc Gann scored following a Kevin Traynor cross after thirty minutes. Kilkerrin had a great chance to take the led before half time but Padraig Miskel saved Oisin Mc Gann's spot kick. Cloonfad took the lead for the second time with only two minutes played in the second half. Dylan Ruane's cross was turned into the Kilkerrin net by Conor Flynn. Kilkerrin pushed for an equaliser and were helped when the home side had a player sent off with twenty five left to play. Just when it looked their luck was out Shane Walsh convered a free kick with the last kick of the game.

In The only game in Division 1 Skyvalley Rovers snatched a later winner against Dunmore Town at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. Overall it was a very exciting game with both teams giving it their all. Skyvalley Rovers opened the scoring after only six minutes of play. A fine passing move involving Callum O Brien and Sean Ryan saw the ball reach Jamie Kelly and the Captain volleyed to the roof of the Dunmore net. Dunmore levelled the game with twenty six played. Ben Glynn perfectly flighted corner kick with the aid of the light deceived everyone and finished in the Skyvalley net. With thirty eight played a good passing move involving Martin Lennon Conal Moore and Sean Ryan created an opening for young Shane Costello who volleyed to the Dunmore net from just inside the penalty area. Within three minutes of the restart when following indicision in the home penalty area the ball broke to Sean Byrne and he smashed it to the Skyvalley Rovers net. Dunmore had a couple of chance to take the lead but with the game into time added on Martin Lennon won a penalty kick and Callum O Brien converted the resultant spot kick.

The race for the division 2 Championship is very close with just three points Skyvalley Rovers Boyle Celtic Cam celtic and St Johns Athletic.
Boyle Celtic beat Cam Celtic 1 – 0 at Boyle. John Finnery scored the only goal of the game midway through the second half.
Skyvalley Rovers beat Rahara Rovers 3 – 2 in an evenly contested game at Taughmaconnell. John Moore gave the home side an early lead but Paul Flaherty had the sides level at half time. Shane Costello restored the Skyvalley lead with fifty five played but Liam Naughton levelled the game three minutes later when he scored for Rahara Rovers. A well struck Lee Clogher free kick won all three points for the home side.

Cloonfad United beat Ballymoe 5 – 4 at Ballymoe. The game ebbed and flowed with Ballymoe looking to have secured the three points when the led 4 -3 with three minutes left to play. However they then pressed the self distruct button and scored two own goals before the end.
David Swift Keith Connolly Aidan Brogan and Micheal Kenny scored for Ballymoe and Ryan Merchant scored two and Sean Ruane one for Cloonfad with the other two coming by way of own goals.

Moore United beat St Cuans/ Ahascragh United 12 – 4 at Ahascragh. Charles Nevin scored six and David Griffin three Liam Ryan two and Kevin Kenny one for Moore. Colin Concannon scored two and David Habarahan and Gary Mongan one each for the losers.

St Johns Athletic beat Roscommon United 1 – 0 at Roscommon. Jamie Tiernan scored the winner for the Lecarrow side.

Dunmore Town beat Ballaghaderreen 2 -1 at Ballaghaderreen. Cian Mc Cann scored for the losers.Dunmore took the lead with twenty eight played. They were awarded a penalty kick and the home keeper was sent off. Gerard Higgins converted the spot kick. William Devlin added a second ten minutes later with Cian Mc cann ulling a goal back for the losers with thirteen minutes left to play.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.