RDFL ROUND UP 30/10/22

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League Round Up
Following a highly entertaining game of football at the Curragh Grounds, Ballinasloe Town advanced
to the third round of the FAI Junior Cup after knocking out the Mayo Super League side Ballina Town.
The home side were expected to struggle against a Ballina Town side who finished runners up in the
Mayo League but with a nice blend of young and experienced players in their side they were fully
deserving their 3 – 2 win. Ballinasloe Town took the lead midway through the first half through
Lucas Matheus Soares Costa . Ballina Town were level early in the second half thanks to a Benny
Levelle free kick. Ryan Burke won and converted a penalty for the winners but the losers were soon
level. However Nemanja Saspovic got the winner for Ballinasloe Town with four minutes remaining.
Ballinasloe Town will have a home game against Castlebar Celtic in the next round.
In the only game played in the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League a good
Moylough 79 side beat Skyvalley Rovers side 8 – 2 at Taughmaconnell. Poor defending cost the
home side dearly and goals from Joe White Dermott Hughes and Eoin O Loughlin gave Moylough a 3
– 0 half time lead. Cathal Kelly pulled two back early in the second half before goals from Dermott
Hughes Leo Donnellan Michael Mulligan and two from Lorcan Kelly ended any hope of a comeback
from a lack lustre home side.
Shiven Rovers continue to top the Division 1 point’s tables following a hard earned 3 – 2 win over
second placed Cloonfad Untied at Shiven’s home ground near Newbridge. Shane Fagan and James
Mc Donagh gave Cloonfad Unites a 2 – 0 lead with fifty played. Keith Murphy gave Shiven Rovers a
lifeline when he pulled one back for the home side ten minutes later. Good work by Joey Horan
resulted in a penalty kick for Shiven Rovers which was converted by Keith Murphy. The visitors had a
player sent off and in the last minute of the game man of the match Conor French and Darragh
Nolan created an opening for Keith Murphy and he snatched all three points for Shiven Rovers.
Cam Celtic are second in the table, three points behind the leaders, thanks to a hard earned 3 – 1
win away to Ballinagare /Manor United. The home side were the better side for the opening twenty
five minutes but then a defensive slip up allowed Gavin Byrne to score for Cam Celtic. Gareth
Mulligan headed a corner kick to the net to give Cam Celtic a 2 – 0 half time lead. Ballinagare /
Manor United came more into the game after the break and were rewarded when Tom Ward pulled
a goal back. However the visitors defended well for the remainder of the game and with fifteen left
to play a good passing move involving Ben Moran and David Cunniffe created an opening for Jack Mc
Donnell and he scored with a super strike.
Dunmore Town are in third place, four points behind the leaders. They beat Roscommon United 2 -
1 at Roscommon. Ethan Coen broke the deadlock midway through the first half and Dylan Fallon
added a second with sixty five played. John Brennan pulled a goal back for the losers but the
Dunmore side held out to take all three points.
In Division 2 St Johns Athletic and Rahara Rovers drew 2 – 2 in their local derby game at Lecarrow.
Shane Mc Cormack gave Rahara an early lead with a super strike and Conor Kavanagh added a
second shortly afterwards. Christopher Hurley converted a penalty for the Lecarrow side before half
time and with five minutes remaining a Darren Carroll free kick won a point for St Johns athletic.
Skyvalley Rovers beat Dunmore Town 4 – 2 at Dunmore in a really close Game. Ken Carrick gave the
Dunmore side a 1 – 0 lead early in the game. Naoise Murphy then scored two and Jack Downey one for the Taughmaconnell side before Oisin Foye added a second for the home side. They came close
to levelling the game before Terry Mc Gowan added a fourth for the winners.
In the Women’s league Leaders Cam Celtic picked up three valuable points when they beat Kilkerrin
United 1 – 0 at Cam. There was nothing between the sides until ten minutes from the end when
Marian Nolan won the ball in midfield and threaded a beautiful pass to Aoife Coyle who found the
Kilkerrin net from close range. Despite being under constant pressure Cam held out to take the three
St Cuans Ahascragh United beat Ballinasloe Town 3 – 2 in a brilliant game of football in Ahascragh. A
fine solo effort from Sarah Noone and a well taken penalty from Deirdre Leonard gave the winners a
2 – 0 half time lead. Ballinasloe Town never gave up and were level with only ten played in the
second half thanks to goals from Amy Coyne and Natoya Fogarty. However in the closing minutes a
deflected corner kick ended in the Ballinasloe net.
Boyle Celtic and Colemanstown United drew 1 – 1 at Boyle. The visitors pressed from the start and
took the lead after ten minutes through Rachel O Brien. Boyle levelled the game before half time
through Katie Walsh and while both teams created many chances in the second half it was the two
keepers who came out on top.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.