RDFL ROUND UP 11/02/24

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon & District League
Round Up 11th February 2023
Boyle Celtic and Ballaghaderreen F C continue to lead the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League following a hard earned wins over the weekend. While both teams have twenty-one points Ballaghaderreen have a game less played.

Boyle Celtic had a 2 – 1 win over the Castleplunket side C P Ajax at Boyle. The teams were well matched in the first half and while Boyle Celtic broke quickly on a couple of occasions the Castleplunket defence kept their line intact.
The second half was much better, and C P Ajax began to really stretch the Boyle defence. Paul Mee won a free kick for the visitors with sixty-five played. His well struck free kick came down off the Boyle cross bar and Darren Flynn had an easy task to convert. Dan Connolly looked to have made it 2 – 0 shortly afterwards but was pulled up for offside. Callum Andrews levelled the game with fifteen left to play with an excellent volley and with just two minutes remaining young Conor Kelly got the winner for Boyle Celtic

Ballaghaderreen F C were involved in a real battle at home to Shiven Rovers and were relieved to collect all three points following a flattering 4 – 1 win. Cormac Rushe headed the winners in front with twenty played but an expertly taken penalty kick by Keith Murphy had the sides level at the break. There was nothing between the sides until Shiven Rovers had a player sent off with sixty played and Danny Browne scored for the home side ten minutes later. Danny Browne converted a penalty kick and Peter Horan added a fourth for the winners in the closing minutes.

St Johns Athletic remain in third place, six points behind the leaders, following 3 – 3 draw against Castlerea Celtic at the League grounds Lecarrow. Castlerea Celtic took the lead with fourteen played through Oisin O Farrell, but Jamie Tiernan levelled the game and then gave St Johns a 2 – 1 lead with thirty-four played. Just before half time Jarlath Geraghty levelled the game when he scored for the Castlerea side. Jack Higgins made it 3 – 2 with seventy-five played but with seven minutes of time added on played St Johns Athletic were awarded a penalty and Daire Kenan won a point for St Johns when he converted.

Ballinasloe Town and Moore United drew 1 – 1 in a good hones game of football with neither team giving an inch and a draw was a fair result. Ballinasloe took the lead when a Josh Bullman kick out put Josh Mc Carthy in the clear and he squared the ball to Mark Richardson who finished from close range. Charles Nevin converted a penalty kick for Moore United in the second half.

The race for the Division 1 Championship is really close with four of the seven teams in contention.
Ballymoe F C travelled to Moylough and came away with a 3 – 2 win. Damien Goggins gave Ballymoe a 1- 0 lead with six minutes played. Moylough levelled the game nine minutes later through Matthew Cheevers, but Daniel Malone restored the Ballymoe lead with thirty three played. Damien Goggins converted a penalty kick after Daniel Malone was fouled with fifty-two played and while Leo Donnellan pulled a second back for the home side it came too late for Moylough to snatch an equaliser.

Skyvalley Rovers remain unbeaten following a 4 – 2 win over St Johns Athletic at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. After seven minutes of play Darragh and Cormack Moore combined to set Eoin Keogh who headed to the St Johns net. Six minutes later Emmet Kelly won a penalty kick for the home side and Ethan Nkololo converted the spot kick. Chris Hurley converted a penalty kick for the visitors with twenty played. Eoin Keogh won a free kick for Skyvalley Rovers with thirty-two played and Garry Canavan made 3 – 1 with a well struck free kick.
Darragh Moore forced the visitor’s keeper into making a couple of good save before a Daniel Keenan corner was converted by Cathal Ferrick. Eoin Keogh added a fourth for the home side and they held on for a comfortable win.

Ballinagare Manor Utd had a 6 – 2 win over Glen Celtic at Glenamaddy. Despite having more possession Ballinagare / Manor were 2 – 0 down after twenty minutes with Daragh Keavney scoring both goals for the Glenamaddy side. Alan Keane started the fight back with thirty played when he headed a Keith O Reilly long throw to the Glen net. Five minutes later Gerry Ward laid the ball off to Jay Mc Carney and he made it 2 – 2 at half time. The visitors were well on top in the second half and Jay McCartney Gavin Murray Gerry Ward and Keith O Reilly added four without reply.

In Division 2 Cloonfad United are top of the points table following a 7 – 2 win over Cloonfad United. Conor Ruane scored three and Conor Flynn David Frayne Daithi Gannon and James Brennan added one each for the winners with Brian Mc Dermott and John Miskell replying for the losers.

Rahara Rovers and St Cuans / Ahascragh United share second place and they drew 2 – 2 when they played at Rahara on Sunday. Evan Donnelly opened the scoring for Rahara Rovers after twenty-five minutes of play. Cormac Lavin doubled their lead five minutes later when he converted following a corner kick. The reliable Liam O Connor pulled one back for St Cuans / Ahascragh Utd. before half time. Cameron O Leary levelled the game on the hour mark. Both teams came close to getting a winner but the final score matched their earlier meeting with a 2 – 2 scoreline. The two teams were missing a few regulars, but everyone there put on a good show for an enjoyable contest.

Cam Celtic Dysart had a 2 – 0 win over Ballaghaderreen also in Division 2. David Cunniffe and Gareth Mulligan scored their goals.

In the Women’s League Ballaghaderreen beat a young St Cuans / Ahascragh United side 4 – 1 at Ahascragh. Caoimhe White gave the home side an early lead. However, Ballaghaderreen levelled he game after twenty-three minutes and went on to add three more before the end.

Castlerea Celtic took the lead early in the game through Aoife Smyth but Pam Nee scored either side of half time to give Ballinasloe Town the advantage. However, in a fairly physical encounter Aoife Smyth added a second to share the spoils.

In the Quarter Finals of the Connacht Women’s Cup Roscommon and District League side Kilkerrin United played Swinford United but had no luck when they were beaten 4 - 2 in a penalty shoot out after the game finished 1 – 1 at the end of extra time. Swinford took an early lead but Kilkerrin United were back in the game before half time. A well worked corner kick resulted in Caoimhe Boyle scoring. Both teams had chances in the remainder of the game but it was Swinford who made it to the Semi- Finals.

The game featuring Corrib Celtic and Cam Celtic was postponed until next Sunday.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.