RDFL ROUND UP 04/01/24

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Vincent Brooks
Roscommon and District League

Round up 7th February 2024

The third round of the Connacht Cup and the first round of the Connacht Shield took centre stage on Sunday and it was a day of mixed fortunes for the teams from the Roscommon and District League

Premier Division leaders Ballaghaderreen advanced to the fourth round of the Connacht Cup. They travelled to Galway City and came away with a deserved 3 – 1 win over Renmore. Playing against a still wind in the first half Ballaghaderreen took the lead with thirty-seven played thanks to a Cormac Rushe goal. Danny Browne added a second direct from a corner kick with sixty played and while Jack Greaney pulled one back for Renmore five minutes later Tom Ward sealed the win with a well takes score with sixty-seven played.

Moore travelled to Sligo Premier team Ballisodare Utd and played in windy conditions. Moore took the game to Ballisodare early and was rewarded when good play between Alan Duffy and Josh Lennon resulted in a penalty.

Up stepped Josh Lennon to slot home a deserved lead with fifteen played.

Moore created a number of chances over the half only to be pulled right back to ground when caught out with a good run down the right for the striker to slot home just before half time.

Moore started the second with real eagerness and got rewarded when Alan Duffy was taken down for a second penalty with fifty played.

Up stepped Josh Lennon to slot home his second.

Two became three when great work from Emmet Kenny found Alan Duffy who finished in style

Moore in great spirits now. Josh got his 3rd when showing great composure to finish for his hattrick with seventy on the clock.

In fairness to Ballisodare they kept trying and when a poor challenge in the box lead to another penalty they were back to 4 – 2 with fifteen left.

With time near up a lack in concentration from the Ballisodare keeper allowed the ball run under his foot from a effort from Emmet Kenny to round of a good display from Moore and a place in round 4.

Skyvalley Rovers played the University of Galway at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. The home side were in front on two occasions, but a late penalty resulted in a 3-2 win for the Galway side. Playing with a strong wind in the first half Skyvalley took advantage and Michael Donoghue scored from close range with fifteen played. Jimmie Donoghue made a good save halfway through the half to keep Skyvalley Rovers ahead at the break. Three minutes into the second half Jack Joyce levelled the game when he scored for University of Galway. The home side were back in front twelve minutes later. A good run and cross from Ethan Nkololo was deflected past the keeper by a defender. With time almost up a rash challenge gave the visitors a penalty kick and Sheagh O Connor converted.

Castlerea Celtic lost 2 – 1 away to the Westport United second side.

Shiven Rovers got off to a very bad start at home to the Mayo Superleague side Conn Rangers and were 3 – 0 down after twenty minutes. The Knockmore side were always on top and added two more before the end.

In the Connacht Shield Round 1 the Castleplunket side C P Ajax travelled to the Galway side Killtullagh Pioneers and came away with an 8 – 2 win which was their biggest win in a Connacht Competition. Despite the wet and windy conditions C P Ajax pressed their opponents early in on and were rewarded when Paul Mee and Dan Connolly had them 2 – 0 ahead with just ten played. The home side recovered and got back in the game before half time when they scored from a mix up in the away defence. Playing with the strong wind in the second half C P Ajax were quick to capitalise. Dan Connolly made it 3 – 1 with a long-range volley but Killtullagh pulled a second back within a few minutes. However, Thomas Callaghan Dan Connolly and Darren Boyle added one each and Louis Galvin got two more to complete the scoring

Ballinagare / Manor had an Impressive 5 – 3 away win away to the Mayo side Straid and Foxford United. The home side went in front after five minutes but ten minutes later Jay McCartney beat four defenders before crossing it to sixteen year old Joe Bottom who scored. Gerry Ward added his first a few minutes later. With thirty two played Jay McCartney scored with a header following a Ryan Higgins cross. The home side got a penalty just before half time to make it 3-2 at half time. Fifteen minutes into the second half Jay McCartney found Gerry Ward at the other side of the box and Gerry scored a fourth for the Roscommon & District League side. Straid and Foxfort made it 4 – 3 when they converted a penalty kick with twenty left to play. Jay Mc Cartney won and concerted a penalty kick near the end to seal a place in the next round.

Cloonfad United advanced at the expense of the Sligo Premier side Benbulben. While the scoreline will show a 3 – 0 win for Cloonfad United the only real difference between the sides were the goalkeepers. P J Donlon was really good for Cloonfad United. Cloonfad played against a very strong wind in the first half and were were 1 – 0 up with only thirty-five seconds played. Neil Morris broke through the middle and scored. James Brennan added a second with twenty-seven played and Neil Morris added a third just before half time.

Division 2 side St Cuans / Ahascragh United were beaten by the Galway League Division 1 side Oughterard at Ahascragh. The reliable Liam O Connor and Colin Concannon had the home side level at 2 – 2 at the break but the visitors added two more without reply after the break.

Boyle Celtic received a walk over St Patricks F C .

Glen Celtic beat a fancied Calry Bohs from the Sligo Superleague 4 – 3 on penalties after the game finished 3 – 3 at the end of extra time. The Sligo side were 1 – 0 up at half time but Michael Heneghan had the sides level early in the second half. Evan Duffy restored the Glen Celtic advantage and Gavin Hegarty made it 3 – 1 before the visitors scored two more to send the game to extra time and penalties. Aaron Comer Ryan Duffy Michael Heneghan and Ryan Mc Hugh converted their penalty kicks to secure a 4 – 3 win and a place in the next round.

Cam / Dysart were beaten 3 – 0 at home by the Mayo Super League side Manulla.

St Johns Athletic had a good penalty shoot out win over the Galway side Corofin at Corofin. The Lecarrow side took the lead with five played thanks to Simon Leonard and Corofin levelled the game five minutes before half time. There were no more scores in normal or extra time and with keeper Anthony Beades in excellent form the St Johns side won 4 – 2 in the resultant penalty shoot-out.

Moylough 79 were beaten 2 – 1 at home by the Galway Division 1 side Cregmore / Claregalway. The home side started well but conceded a goal against the run of play after twenty-five minutes. Moylough missed a great chance to level the game when they won a penalty, but the visitors keeper made a good save. In the second half Moylough gained control and an excellent passage of play resulted in Townsend getting an equaliser. However, with just five remaining Cregmore / Claregalway won the game with a well taken score.

In the remaining game Ballymoe conceded their game away to Galway Hibs.

In the Connacht Women’s Shield Boyle Celtic lost 1 – 0 to Dunmore, Castlerea Celtic progressed and Ballaghaderreen also bowed out of the competition.

In The Roscommon and District Women’s League Cam Celtic had a good 5-3 win over St. Cuans /Ahascragh on Sunday afternoon at a windswept Cam grounds at Brideswell. With injuries and the non-availability of a number of Cam players this game gave some of the fringe players an opportunity to show their class and that they surely did. Playing with the aid of the strong breeze Cam netted 4 times in the first half with Aoife Coyle scoring two and Rebecca Collins with two excellent in swinging corners finding the net to leave it 4 nil at the break. St. Cuans /Ahascragh applied serious pressure at the start of the second half and pulled back two in the space of twenty minutes through Lynn Calahan and Sofie Kelly. It was game on then and with the wind playing a pivotal role, the home team were finding it increasingly hard to get the ball out of their own half. A long low clearence from Alaine Morris found the onrushing Emer Kelly who gave the Cuans keeper no chance. St Cuans continued to pile on the pressure and were awarded their second penalty of the day, and despite the best efforts of stand in Cam keeper Emily they got to within two of Cam again thanks to Lynn Calahan. Another quick turnover by Edel Carroll saw her fouled 25 metres out and Rebecca Collins took the resultant free kick and for the third time in the match her excellent shot skimmed the under side of the cross bar and into the side of the goals.

Kilkerrin United beat Ballinasloe Town 4 – 2 at Kilkerrin. Kilkerrin were 4 – 1 up at half time and while Ballinasloe Town battled on the result was not in doubt long before the end. Kat Mc Gann scored two and Myra Grogan Eva Noone Caoimhe Boyle and Caitlin Boyle added one each for the winners.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.