19/11/23 RDFL ROUND UP

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League
The Connacht Cup round two took centre stage on Sunday and it was a day of mixed fortunes for teams from the Roscommon and District League.

Moore United had a convincing 3 – 1 win at home against the Sligo Leitrim Super League side Calry Bohemians. On a very wet and windy night at Falty Park the teams struggled to master the conditions in the first half. The Sligo side broke the deadlock five minutes into the second half but after that it was Moore United who were the better side. The home side played good football and were rewarded when Alan Duffy levelled the game with twenty left to play. Emmitt Kenny set up Alan Duffy who headed a second shortly afterwards.
Just at the end of normal time Mark Gannon was rewarded for a great performance when he scored a third for Moore United whoare now through to the third Round

Premier side Boyle Celtic were beaten 3 – 2 at home by the impressive Galway Premier Leaders Salthill Devon at Boyle. The visitors took an early but a well taken goal by Darren Foley levelled the game. The Galway side regained the lead shortly afterwards but Callum Andrews scored for Boyle Celtic to leave the sides level at half time. Playing with the strong wind in the second half Salthill Devon added a third with sixty played following a free kick that should have been cleared by the home defence. The visitors managed the game from then on and Boyle Celtic just could not get past a well organised defence.

Premier side Shiven Rovers beat the Mayo Premier Division Champions Claremorris 4 – 2 at Newbridge. In a really entertaining game, Shiven Rovers had to work hard for the win with man of the match Rory Cunningham scoring three of their goals. Padraig Delaney added their fourth.

Dunmore Town made it through to the third round of the Connacht Cup following a thrilling win over the Galway side Bearna Na Forbacha at Dunmore. The game finished level at 3 – 3 after extra time with Dunmore winning 3 – 2 in the resultant penalty shoot-out. Declan Forde and Padraig Costello gave Dunmore the lead on two occasions in normal time but the visitors struck back to level the game. The Bearna side went in front in extra time but Declan Forde struck his second in the second period of extra time to send the game to a penalty shootout. Shane Geoghan made three outstanding saves in in the penalty shoot-out and while it resulted in a win for Dunmore the man of the match was reserved for the Dunmore played Alan Comer.

Ballaghaderreen were involved in a real struggle at home to the Galway side Dynamo Blues. The game was very entertaining early on but gradually it descended to a real battle. Ballaghaderreen eventually won out on a 3- 2 score line. The visitors took the lead after fifteen minutes of play but Danny Browne had the sides level with thirty two played. Donald Forest added a second for the home side before half time. Sharoize Akram added a third for Ballaghaderreen after the break with the Tuam side pulling one back before the end.

The Castleplunket side C P Ajax were beaten 3 – 1 at home by the Salthill Devon second side.

In an all Roscommon and District League clash at Glenamaddy Division 1 side Skyvalley Rovers beat fellow Division 1 side Glen Celtic 3 – 2 in a game that could have gone either way. Ethan Nkololo gave the winners the lead with twenty played but three minutes later Willie Comer levelled the game when he scored for Glen Celtic. Cormack Moore and Eoin Keogh added two more for the Taughmaconnell side with Willie Comer scoring his second for Glen Celtic in injury time at the end of the game.

Cloonfad United travelled to the Galway Premier side Renmore but were beaten 4 – 1 by the home side. Renmore were 2 – 0 up with thirty played;
Luke Ruane pulling one back for Cloonfad before half time. While Cloonfad missed a few good chances to level the game it was Renmore who added two more in the second half.

The remaining games in this competition were postponed.

In the Roscommon and District League Division 1 Northern section Ballymoe F C had a convincing 6 – 0 win over Kilkerrin United at Ballymoe. The sides were well matched in the first half with a single goal scored by Jason Tarmey separating the sides. However Ballymoe were well on top in the second half and Adrian Collins Dan Malone Paddy Rowsome Ryan Hanley and Jason Connaughton added one each.

In the Division 1 South section Cam Celtic / Dysart came from 3- 0 down to beat Roscommon United 4 -3 at Cam. Patryk Pietrzak scored two and Daz Mainwaring one to give the Town side a 3 – 0 lead with sixty played. However Garrett Mulligan Robbie Fallon David Cunniffe and Andy Higgins scored four for the home side in the closing stages of the game.

St Cuans / Ahascragh United drew 2 – 2 in a game played at Lecarrow.
Colin Concannon scored two for the home side in the first half with Cormac Lavin and Cathal Crehan adding one in each half for Rahara Rovers.

In the Women’s League Kilkerrin United closed the gap on leaders Cam Celtic to three points following a 4 – 1 win over Boyle Celtic under the lights at Boyle.
Mya Grogan and Samantha Fahy scored two each for the winners with Sinead Donoghue replying for the losers.

St Cuans / Ahascragh United made the long and very early journey to Ballaghaderreen and this very young side and their mentors showed great attitude despite losing 10 – 0 to a very mature Ballaghaderreen side.
Pauline O Grady scored four Rebecca Finan and Nicole Mc Guinn scored two each and Allanah and Ava Mc Greal added one each.

Ballinasloe Town beat Cam Celtic 3 – 2 at Ballinasloe. The visitors scored early but Pam Nee scored two for the winners before half time. Cassie Finnerty added a third before Cam Celtic made it 3 – 2 with a late penalty kick.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.