RDFL ROUND UP 30/01/2022

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League Round up
Kilkerrin United remain top of the Norios Premier Division of the Roscommon and District League following a hard earned 3 – 2 win over Moore United at Moore. The home side took the lead with six played through Charles Nevin but Kieran Gannon levelled the game before half time. Jason Ward scored from a free kick for Kilkerrin with two minutes of the second half played. Andy Nevin scored a second for the home side with sixty played but in the time added on at the end of the game Jason Ward headed a winner for Kilkerrin United.
Second placed Boyle Celtic hold on to their one point advantage over Ballinasloe Town when they drew 1 – 1 at Boyle. Niall Stack gave Ballinasloe Town a 1 – 0 half time lead and Brian Mc Crann levelled the game with ten minutes left to play.
Ballymoe F C slipped up when beaten 1- 0 by St Johns Athletic at Ballymoe and they are struggling to move away from the relegation. There was little between the sides for most of the game with Cian Kelly scoring the decider with sixty seven played and St Johns are comfortable in mid table.
Moylough 79 had a 4 – 1 win over Cloonfad United at Moylough. Darragh Flynn gave Cloonfad a 1 – 0 lead after thirty minutes. In the second half Sean Mc Donagh levelled the game before Pierce Townsend added two more and an own goal made up the Moylough total.
Castlerea Celtic eased their relegation worries with a 4- 1 win over Ballaghaderreen at Castlerea. Castlerea Celtic were the better team in the first half and were two up at half time. Ballaghaderreen were much better after the break but any chance of a comeback was ended when they had a player sent off. The home side won a penalty kick after ten minutes and Ronan Curran converted. The home side came close to levelling the game but a Danny Browne shot came back off the post. Niall Higgins added a second for the winners before halftime. Cathal Horan pulled a goal back for Ballaghaderreen ten minutes into the second half but Frank Hester and Ronan Curran added two more before the end.
Division 1 leaders Ballinasloe Town were held to a 0 -0 draw away to a hard working Dunmore Town side.
Shiven Rovers kept up the chase of the leaders with a 1 – 0 win over the Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic at Newbridge. With their keeper Michael Killilea in sparkling form the home side were made battle all the way with Keith Murphy scoring the only goal of the game following a corner kick with five minutes of normal time left to play.
Ballinagare / Manor United are still in with a chance of promotion following their 3 – 2 win over Dysart at Dysart. The visitors were playing against the wind in the first half and were 2 – 0 up at half time through Tom Ward and Aaron Dowd. John Why pulled a goal back for Dysart after the break but Gerry Ward soon restored the two goal advantage for the winners. Niall Corbett scored a second for Dysart but it came too late to change the result.
In Division 2 joint leaders Cam Celtic had a 1 – 0 win over Dunmore Town at a wet and windy cam. This Divisions leading goal scorer Gareth Mulligan scored his twelfth league goal of the season with twenty five minutes played.
Ballaghaderreen were 8 – 0 winners over Cloonfad United at Ballaghaderreen. Keelan Feeney scored three, Conor Mc Greal two and Ben Feeney Cian Mc Cann and Noel Deery one each.
Boyle Celtic were held to a 1- 1 draw at home to St Cuans / Ahascragh United. Conor Tivnan gave the home side a half time lead with Liam O Connor Levelling the game after the break.
St Johns Athletic came from 3 – 1 down to beat Skyvalley Rovers 4 – 3 at Lecarrow. Derek Doyle scored two and David O Brien and Carl Feerick one each for the winners. David Grehan Conal Moore and Darren Moore replied for the losers.
Roscommon United were beaten 3 – 1 by Ballymoe at Roscommon. Paul Flanagan and Kevin Morgan gave Ballymoe a 2 – 0 lead. Nick Timothy pulled a goal back for the home side before Jason Kirrane added a third for the Ballymoe side.
Rahara Rovers and Moore United drew 2 – 2 at Rahara, Jason Cunningham Michael Mc Manus scored for the Moore side in the first half and David Dowd head a goal for Rahara after fifty six minutes and Paul Flaherty completed the come back when he scored for Rahara with twenty minutes left to play..

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.