RDFL ROUND UP 27/2/2022

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League
Round Up27 th February 2022
The fifth round of the T P Brennan sponsored Connacht Cup took centre
stage—with three teams from the Roscommon and District League hoping to
reach the Quarter-Finals. Only Ballinasloe Town advanced to the next round.
They played the Galway side Dynamo Blues at Ballinasloe and had a
comfortable 2 – 0 win. With eleven minutes played Mike Lynch headed a Garry
Egan corner kick to the Tuam sides net. Eight minutes later a good passing
move involving Mark and Shane Duffy and Niall Stack created an opening for
the alert Ryan Burke to volley a second for the home side. For the remainder of
the game the experienced Ballinasloe Town side shut up shop and denied the
visitors any chance of a comeback.
Boyle Celtic played Athenry Fc at the League grounds Lecarrow but after
leading for a long period they were beaten 2 – 1 by an Athenry side who are
one of the favourites to win this trophy. Shane Battles gave Boyle Celtic a first
half lead and missed chances prevented them stretching their lead before half
time. After sixty minutes of play Boyle Celtic lost their midfield General Brian
Mc Crann through injury and Cathal Fahy and Gary Shanagan added two well
taken goals for Athenry in the last quarter of the game.
Ballymoe F C travelled to the Galway Premier Division Leaders Salthill Devon
and as expected it was the home side who came out on top at a wind-swept
Drum. With fifteen played James Connaughton volleyed to the Salthill Devon
net from the edge of the penalty area. Tommy Mc Keown levelled the game
before half time and in the last fifteen minutes of the game Vinnie Flaherty
Timmy Molloy and an own goal gave the home side a place in the Quarter-
St Johns Athletic moved to within two points of the top of the Norios Premier
Division following a 1 – 0 win over Kilkerrin United at Lecarrow. A single score
from Daniel O Brien won all three points for St Johns Athletic.
Ballaghaderreen FC eased their relegation worries with a 2 – 1 win over Moore
United at Moore. Danny Browne created an opening for Shairoze Akram who
gave the visitors a 1 – 0 lead after eighteen minutes of play and just before half
time Sean Smyth set up Danny Browne who added a second. James Lunt saved
an Andy Nevin penalty kick early in the second half to keep Moore United at

bay. With eighty played Andy Nevin did convert a penalty kick for mid table
Moore United but Ballaghaderreen held out to take all three points.
Castlerea Celtic continue to battle near the bottom of the points table. They
beat Cloonfad United 1 – 0 at Cloonfad. With just five minutes played Mike
Conroy broke clear on the wing and his cross was finished superbly by Ronan
Curran. Cloonfad had the aid of a strong wind in the second half but could not
break down a resolute Castlerea Celtic defence who held out to take all three
The first round games in the Joes Bar sponsored Roscommon and District
League Challenge cup was played TODAY and by and large the results went as
Only teams from Division 1 and 2 are involved in the first two rounds.
In an all Division 1 clash at Lisnamult, Roscommon United beat Dysart 2 – 1 in
an exciting game. Connie Regan headed the Roscommon United side in front
early in the game but Andy Higgins replied for Dysart to leave the sides level at
the break. Vando scored the winner for the Town side early in the second half
In a local derby game at Tarmon C P Ajax beat Ballinagare Manor United 3 -1 in
a really close game. The sides were level with five minutes remaining but the
Castleplunket side score two before the end. Gerry Ward gave Ballinagare/
Manor United the lead after ten minutes of play and some excellent saves by
their keeper Cian Galvin kept them in front. Brian Larkin levelled the game with
an excellent solo goal just after half time and Stephen Crann and Daniel
Connolly added two more in the last few minutes to secure a place for the
Castleplunket side in the next round.
Division 1 side Shiven Rovers were 6 – 2 winners over Division 2 side St Cuans
Ahascragh United. Playing against the wind in the first half two great strikes by
Liam O Connor and Anthony Keary gave St Cuans Ahascragh United a 2- 0 lead
at half time. After the break Keith Murphy scored two and Adam Farrell,
Francis Kilcommins and Tom Doyle added one each for the Newbridge side
with a sixth coming by way of an own goal...
In an all Division 2 clash Ballaghaderreen beat Ballymoe 7- 6 in a penalty shoot-
out after the game finished level at 3 – 3 at the end of extra time. Christopher
Dunne scored two and Padraig Duffy one for the winners while Jason Tarmey
scored two and the experienced Kevin Morgan one for the losers.

The Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic from Division 1 beat Moore United second
side 2 – 0 at Lecarrow. Shane Mannion and Marty McGuire scored the goals for
the winners with both coming in the first half.
Division 1 side Dunmore Town beat Division 2 side Rahara Rovers 3 – 1 at
Dunmore. The home side started well and Gavin Mullarkey converted two
penalty kicks for his side before half time. Rahara battled on against a strong
wind and Liam Naughton pulled one back. Gavin Mullarkey completed his hat
trick near the end when he got on the end of a Patrick Cosgrove cross and
sealed a place in round two for Dunmore Town.
In the remaining game played St Johns Athletic beat old rivals Skyvalley Rovers
3 – 1 in an all Division 2 clash at Lecarrow.
David Gately, Karol Feerick and Derek Doyle scored for the winners.
The Skyvalley Rovers goal came by way of an own goal and their cause was not
helped when they had two players sent off

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.