RDFL ROUND UP 09/06/24

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League
Last Saturday evening saw the end of the 2023 / 24 football season for the Roscommon and District League. Overall it was a difficult season for the League with the almost continuous rain making it a trying experience for the Clubs their team managers the Roscommon and District League fixtures secretary.

Congratulations are extended to the Division 2 Cup winners St Cuans / Ahascragh United who edged out Cam Celtic / Dysart in the final. The teams were well matched and it was no surprise to the spectators that the game required extra time and a penalty shootout before St Cuans / Ahascragh United came out on top.

Playing with the wind in the first half the winners were 1 – 0 up within a minute of the start thanks to a Cameron O Leary goal. Both teams had a few chances to score in the remainder of the half but it only took three minutes of play in the second half before David Cunniffe levelled the game when he scored for Cam Celtic / Dysart. There were no more goals scored in normal or extra time but there was plenty of excitement in the resultant shoot penalty shoot out. Both teams had a chance to win the shootout, but it was left to André Irlanda to score the decider for the winners. Simon Leonard Colin Concannon Alex Duke and Liam O Connor had earlier converted their spot kicks for the winners with the shootout finishing 5 – 4 for St Cuans Ahascragh United.

In the only other game played Shiven Rovers secured their place in next seasons Premier Division when they beat Skyvalley Rovers 2 – 1 at Lecarrow. Shiven Rovers took the lead on twenty minutes when Conor French headed to the Skyvalley net.
However, the real turning point of the game came with fifteen minutes left to play.
A fine volley from the Skyvalley Rovers player Mike Garvey nearly broke the Shiven goal post before bouncing back into play. Within seconds a great strike from Keith Murphy struck the Skyvalley goal post but this time the ball rebounded into the net. Skyvalley Rovers won a penalty kick with eight minutes remaining and while Garry Canavan converted the resultant penalty kick the Taughmaconnell side just could not get an equaliser against a Shiven Rovers side who were slightly the better side.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.