RDFL ROUND UP 21/11/2021

By Thomas Fitzpatrick


Roscommon and District League Round Up.
The third round of the Connacht Cup and the first round of the Connacht Shield took centre stage on Sunday and overall it was a reasonably good day for teams from the Roscommon and District League.
Boyle Celtic had an impressive 6 – 1 win over the Sligo Super League side Aughanagh Celtic at Aughanagh. The home side took an early lead but Louis Garvin and Finbar Cregg had Boyle Celtic 2 – 1 ahead at the break. Louis Garvin added a third just after half time and Michael Corrigan Aaron Calpin and Shane Battles added three more before the end.
Ballinasloe Town beat the fancied Sligo / Leitrim Super league side M C R F C at Ballinasloe. Josh Mc Carthy scored what turned out to be the winner for Ballinasloe Town after fifteen minutes of play. The home player J P Stephens suffered an injury in the second half and only some fine defending by the home side with veteran keeper Aidan Fallon Mike stack and Liam Lynch just some of their star players.
Premier side Kilkerrin United travelled to the Galway League Division 2 side Maree /Oranmore and advanced to the fourth round thanks to a 3 – 2 win. Declan Murphy gave Kilkerrin a 1 -0 lead after fifteen minutes when he got on the end of a Shane Walsh corner kick. The home side were level within a minute and took the lead with eighty three played. With just a minute of normal time remaining Oisin Hynes levelled the game with a super strike from outside the penalty area. Oisin Mc Gann in injury time at the end of the game rounded the keeper before scoring the winner for Kilkerrin United.
St Johns Athletic travelled to Salthill Devon and were beaten 3 – 0 by the top side in the Galway League.
Premier side Ballymoe were made to battle al the way before beating the Galway Division 1 side West Coast United. Sean Mullen gave the Letterfrack side a 1- 0 lead and it stayed like that until the last few minutes of the game when Ballymoe scored two goals to book a place in the Round four. John Connaughton levelled the game with eighty seven played and Damien Goggins converted a penalty kick after Keith Keenan was taken down.
Division 1 side Cam Celtic were beaten 3 = 2 at home by the Tuam side Dynamo Blues. David Cunniffe scored both goals for Cam Celtic.
Premier Division side Moore United travelled to the Galway Premier side Galway Hibs. Alan Duffy gave the Moore side a 1 – 0 advantage after three minutes but the home side levelled the game after twenty and scored the winner just before half time.
A weakened Ballaghaderreen side crashed 6 – 1 away to the talented Athenry F C. The home side scored two in the first ten minutes and while Bruce Holton pulled one back the home side were clearly the better side and ran out comfortable winners.
Moylough 79 lost 2 – 1 at home to Ballisodare.
In round one of the Connacht Shield Division 1 side Shiven Rovers shared six goals with the Galway side Oughterard before winning the resultant penalty shootout on a 3 = 1 score line. This was a real thriller with the Newbridge coming from behind and sending the game to extra time. Adam Farrell Padraig Keating and Francis Kilcommins scored from open play with Shane Delaney making a vital save in the 3 - 1 penalty shootout win.
Dunmore Town had an impressive win over the Galway Division 1 side Merlin Woods/ Medtronic at Dunmore. Patrick Cosgrove with a little help from the goal keeper gave Dunmore Town a 1 – 0 lead and only some excellent defending kept Dunmore ahead against a talented Galway Division 1 title challengers.
Ballinagare Manor United played really well against the Sligo /Leitrim Super League side Calry Bohs but after extra time when they were level at 3 – 3 they went on to lost the penalty shootout 5 – 6. Patrick O Connor scored two and Patrick Cryan one for the losers.
Ballinasloe Towns second side were beaten 6 – 2 away to Knocknacara while Dysart didn’t travel to Ballygawley.

Where next?


Roscommon & District Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.